StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Had my 1st ever pole oops!

• Had my 1st ever pole oops!

Posted by reenie aka Mysfit on May 22, 2011 at 7:46 pm

Well, I can now officially say I have joined the ranks of Pole oops…..After 4 years……….I finally had a pole come down with me on it. I am okay….no major injury…..some stiffness if starting to settle in reminding me that I took a tumble…..

Thank gawd I wasn't doing anything too major….Just warming up spins to warm up the pole. So—Feet were still near the ground. However, I wish I had the capacity to video myself……..LOL—It must have been quite a sight to see. Scared the heck out of my student who was there at the time. More noisy than anything else as it crashed into the stereo system……knocked over my full cup of juice, spilling that all over the damn place. Broke a couple of CD cases……….but all in all…..it could have been so much worse. I am just thankful it was me on the pole when it came down, and not one of my students.

The irony…….It was my brass pole. Not my xpoles. Hubby had a look at it….

It has become quite warped(brass is known for this as it is a softer metal) and it is also a 38mm skinny. So, to phrase hubby…..it was probably the warping that caused it to come down. I test its stability(well, I do with all the poles) prior to teaching or working out. He suspects that my last spin(the tumbling down one) probably just hit the warp the right way, loosened the tension at the top and voila……………Pole come down.

I am calling the manufacturers of it on Tuesday(Mon is a holiday here) and see if it is safe to have it straightened or if I should buy a new pole altogether. If I buy a new pole, this one is going to become chin up bars~~~I was contemplating that anyway as it is only 8ft in length. The warp just sends it that direction more….

So….I am proud to say, I have fallen………..and I did get up and get back on the pole. I have now joined the ranks of pole falling down………….

horsecrazy12987 replied 12 years, 11 months ago 4 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • horsecrazy12987

May 22, 2011 at 7:57 pm

Yikes; I'm glad you're ok. This is one of my biggest fears–I've fallen off the pole plenty on my own, and I can deal with that; I'm falling onto carpet, and if it's a new move, I pile a bunch of giant couch cushions at the bottom so the only thing hurt is my pride, but I do not want that pole coming down on top of me.

I have heard brass is a softer metal; was this a PS pole then? Is such severe warping common with brass, or was this a fluke? I probably won't ever own one anyway because they sound like a bit of a pain to clean, but I have vaguely thought about it before and this makes me very nervous.

• reenie aka Mysfit

May 22, 2011 at 8:12 pm

The pole is actually an Aradia Pole made by Brassworks here locally………..

I know that brass has a tendency to warp easier, but I am not sure if this is normal. Mine has a definite bow to it….LOL..

I am wondering if it isn't a combination of it being a skinny pole and a softer metal.

My biochemistry really loves brass. It is a pain to keep it clean and it is actually grippier when it is tarnished. So, it is a trade off…

I have 2 chrome Xpoles….love them too~~but my hands don't like to grip them all that well unless they are smokin hot and then….I start ripping skin off…..

Can't win…..But this pole addiction is SO worth it!!!

• horsecrazy12987

May 22, 2011 at 8:19 pm

I have really sweaty hands and a lot of grip problems on a stainless steel, so I'm getting a TG because I've read it's supposed to mimic brass although it is still not as grippy. I am not opposed to trying brass eventually, the upkeep just sounds like a pain and I'm concerned about the warping you experienced. It may have been because it was a really skinny pole, like you mentioned. Bobbi's studio uses really skinny brass poles too–I wonder if they've had anything similar happen?

Also, I'm curious–kind of off topic but does such a skinny pole help you pull off advanced moves more easily? Do you prefer it to the 50mms? The TG I'm getting is a 45–I'm coming off a ss 50mm so it's definitely going to be different; I'm excited to try it, I'm just wondering what it's going to be like. I hear leg grips are harder but gripping with the hands (which is my big problem, my thighs are usually like glue,) is a lot easier with a smaller pole. 

• Veena

Administrator
    May 22, 2011 at 8:26 pm

I had a permant pole come down with me on it too!! Luckly I was just doing a climb and jumped off as it was falling…I felt like a cat! LOL Glad to hear that your ok! https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_heart1.gif

• reenie aka Mysfit

May 22, 2011 at 8:40 pm

@Veena—-Meow~ and thanks~~

@Horsecrazy….I find the 38mm a lot better. However, I am an exgymnast so I find the 38mm closer the the bars I had to hang onto for years.

What I do find tricky….Is going back to the 50mm….It seems so huge in my hands, it scares me. I still work on both…..I don't want to lose the confidence working on the industry standards. I don't find much difference between the 45mm & 50mm…..I can transition back and forth between those 2 sizes no problem. The TG is nice too…..but I still find it slick.

Funny thing—when I first got the 38mm……..certain muscles were KILLIN me. My rhomboids and traps in particular. Smaller grip space was causing me to engage those muscles in a totally new way. When I first started working on the skinny….It was like I had just started poling again.

While on it, I feel stable. My hands wrap around that skinny so I feel the grip security is better. It might be more psychological though………Where it is tougher………Gripping with the thighs. I had to find a whole new sweet spot for CKR and sits…….Really notice a difference in any inverted hangs too–Like Scorpio & gemini. It took a bit to get used to, but like anything else pole related, the body adjusted.

• Sarahb69

May 22, 2011 at 8:55 pm

That happened to my friend  just the other day….kind of scary. I've had a couple of scary moments on the pole, but never had mine come loose and fall.

Shame too, cuz I just had someone price an 8ft. 38mm polished brass tube for me, thinking I could make my own brass skinny in the basement. Perhaps I will rethink this idea now.

Glad to know you are ok!

• reenie aka Mysfit

May 23, 2011 at 12:07 am

Thanks Sarah~~I am glad I am okay too~ I have been in the process of stepping up my own training and practice(something I rarely have much time for anymore with all the goings on of business) so—An injury right now~~would be way too damn inconvenient. (speaks directly to the pole gods—hear me? Not good timing—please note this. LOL)

I still love my 38mm….regardless of our little disagreement this afternoon~~I am gonna take a pic of the warp. You guys have got to see this. I went back down and looked closer at it…….WOW. I can't believe I did that to him(Julio) Have to find something dark to prop him in front of to show it to you guys~~

Sadly….hubby said straightening it isn't a good plan. He says metals weaken when they are manipulated too much. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_sad.gifSo….I guess Julio is going to get cut up into usable sections of chin up bars.

Now, I have to order another 38mm pole…………Replacing just the pole part is cheap though….Should only cost me 175 bucks or so. I got a quote from them before. It is the base and the top that are the pricey pieces.

• horsecrazy12987

May 23, 2011 at 12:22 am

Yes–messing around with metal, especially a softer one like brass, weakens it. My boyfriend is a plumber and I remember him talking about them snapping something one day because it had had to be messed with and it finally just broke. 

I don't know that I'd want to use something as skinny as a 38mm; I think it would feel like a little twig in my hand after a 50mm; I'm still wondering how much of a difference I'm going to notice just with the 45mm. I think split grips will feel nicer, at least, even if leg grips are harder.

I have to admit I'm jealous about the ex-gymnast thing too; after starting pole I've always been kind of mad about my parents not getting me involved in dance or gymnastics when I was younger; I have no flexibility. Didn't they know that a decade and a half or so on down the road, their daughter would take up pole dancing? No courtesy. lol  

• reenie aka Mysfit

May 30, 2011 at 1:18 pm

I put the pics of my bent julio into my albums….

I took it over to a friends on Sat night(her hubby horks with piping all the time) and he straightened to almost perfect…but he says, that is the only time I should do it…..If it rebends, it is toast~~

https://www.studioveena.com/photos/view_photo/4de3de43-bdec-443e-80b2-75f60ac37250

https://www.studioveena.com/photos/next/4de3de43-bdec-443e-80b2-75f60ac37250

• horsecrazy12987

May 30, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Holy crap; you're lucky you weren't badly hurt. That's freaky.