StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions GEL nail polish

• GEL nail polish

Posted by Lyme Lyte on March 17, 2012 at 9:20 am

There was a thread on here a while ago about gel nail polish.  I hate doing my nails and am looking to invest in a kit with a light.  I found a kit at Walmart but it was $50.00…..I saw some people had reviews and where they got their kits with prices.  Thanks!

RoMo replied 8 years, 5 months ago 22 Members · 66 Replies
  • 66 Replies
  • chemgoddess1

March 17, 2012 at 9:39 am

I know Sally's carries Gelish and I think one other brand.  Aerial Amy, Nymphadora and Veruca Blue routinely get gels but they do it at a salon.  Might be worth biting the bullet to get a salon one done first to see how well it works for you.

• JeHanne

March 17, 2012 at 10:54 am

I get Shellac by CND applied at a salon. It has been extremely durable and wearable product for me, I get it done every 14 days (due to grow out). Its a base coat, color and top coat that is cured under a UV light. I do not get any chips in the color, love it!

http://www.cnd.com/Products/Color/shellac-hello.aspx

• Lyme Lyte

March 17, 2012 at 11:03 am

Chem I knew you would come through with some info!  But you see I am rather "cheap" and would have a hard time paying to have them done at a salon.  I a do-it-yourself type of girl…

• JeHanne

March 17, 2012 at 11:08 am

The product like the one you saw at Wal Mart are a DIY version on the Salon UV curing products.   Give it a try and see if it works for you… doesn't hurt to try and you could find something totally amazing.

I was tempted to try it.  

• Lyme Lyte

March 17, 2012 at 11:31 am

I was thinking, we just bought a black light/ LED to cure a crack in our windshield.  Light cost about $7.00.   I am wondering if THAT light would work?  Or I thought someone said they found a kit for $20.00 which I would consider buying.   I will figure something out and let you know…..

• chemgoddess1

March 17, 2012 at 11:54 am

I am the same when it comes to cheap.  Sally's carries the gellish nail color, it is about $14 a bottle.  Might be worth buying a ottle and seeing if teh UV light cures it.  Says 2 minutes under UV light.

http://www.sallybeauty.com/gel-nail-polish/GELISH01,default,pd.html?cm_vc=SEARCH

• PixiLouBell

March 17, 2012 at 12:12 pm

ok i need a kit i get SO tired of my polish chipping the very next day, very annoying, and i cant see paying for fake nails and the upkeep is too much maintenance for me!

• JeHanne

March 17, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Did some browsing online at Sally's… I might stop by and pick up a Gellish kit. I don't like going to the salon and having appointments. It would be great if I could do this at home and save money too. I love this forum, so much great information is available. Thanks for sharing ladies!

• chemgoddess1

March 17, 2012 at 12:18 pm

I love love love Sally's.  Their Sally card is like $5 a year and gets you a discount on all products. On the price tag there will be the regular price and then above it is usually the club price.  Discounts are from fifty cents to a few dollars.  Plus they give you a discount coupon for $5 off your next purchase so you pretty much get the card cost back.

• Lyme Lyte

March 17, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Before you buy the kit, let me get back with you on buying your own bulb…..going to the store to buy stuff in a min.

• chemgoddess1

March 17, 2012 at 12:21 pm

WOW…there is a LOT on ebay.  I mean a freaking TON!!!

• Lyme Lyte

March 17, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Like all the lights and stuff?  Im too impatient.  When I want something, I want it now.  Going to be sport'n some new nails tonight…..whether they work or not is a different story.  Ebay will be my second stop if my home job doesn't work.

• Kobajo84

March 17, 2012 at 12:51 pm
  • Lyme Lyte

March 17, 2012 at 12:54 pm

I knew I saw something somewhere….going to check it out now, thanks!

• Lyme Lyte

March 17, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Thanks Kobajo!  Have you ever just tried the color without the base and top coats?

Page 1 of 5