GEL nail polish

Lyme Lyte Paid Member

There was a thread on here a while ago about gel nail polish.  I hate doing my nails and am looking to invest in a kit with a light.  I found a kit at Walmart but it was $50.00.....I saw some people had reviews and where they got their kits with prices.  Thanks!
Mar 17, 2012 from Grand Haven, Michigan, United States
chemgoddess1 Paid Member

I know Sally's carries Gelish and I think one other brand.  Aerial Amy, Nymphadora and Veruca Blue routinely get gels but they do it at a salon.  Might be worth biting the bullet to get a salon one done first to see how well it works for you.
Mar 17, 2012 from Raleigh-ish, NC, United States
JeHanne Paid Member

I get Shellac by CND applied at a salon. It has been extremely durable and wearable product for me, I get it done every 14 days (due to grow out). Its a base coat, color and top coat that is cured under a UV light. I do not get any chips in the color, love it!

[www.cnd.com]
Mar 17, 2012 from United States
Lyme Lyte Paid Member

Chem I knew you would come through with some info!  But you see I am rather "cheap" and would have a hard time paying to have them done at a salon.  I a do-it-yourself type of girl...

JeHanne Paid Member

The product like the one you saw at Wal Mart are a DIY version on the Salon UV curing products.   Give it a try and see if it works for you... doesn't hurt to try and you could find something totally amazing.

I was tempted to try it.  
Lyme Lyte Paid Member

I was thinking, we just bought a black light/ LED to cure a crack in our windshield.  Light cost about $7.00.   I am wondering if THAT light would work?  Or I thought someone said they found a kit for $20.00 which I would consider buying.   I will figure something out and let you know.....
chemgoddess1 Paid Member

I am the same when it comes to cheap.  Sally's carries the gellish nail color, it is about $14 a bottle.  Might be worth buying a ottle and seeing if teh UV light cures it.  Says 2 minutes under UV light.

[www.sallybeauty.com]
Pixi Lou
ok i need a kit i get SO tired of my polish chipping the very next day, very annoying, and i cant see paying for fake nails and the upkeep is too much maintenance for me!
Mar 17, 2012
JeHanne Paid Member

Did some browsing online at Sally's... I might stop by and pick up a Gellish kit. I don't like going to the salon and having appointments. It would be great if I could do this at home and save money too. I love this forum, so much great information is available. Thanks for sharing ladies!
chemgoddess1 Paid Member

I love love love Sally's.  Their Sally card is like $5 a year and gets you a discount on all products. On the price tag there will be the regular price and then above it is usually the club price.  Discounts are from fifty cents to a few dollars.  Plus they give you a discount coupon for $5 off your next purchase so you pretty much get the card cost back.
Lyme Lyte Paid Member

Before you buy the kit, let me get back with you on buying your own bulb.....going to the store to buy stuff in a min.
chemgoddess1 Paid Member

WOW...there is a LOT on ebay.  I mean a freaking TON!!!
Lyme Lyte Paid Member

Like all the lights and stuff?  Im too impatient.  When I want something, I want it now.  Going to be sport'n some new nails tonight.....whether they work or not is a different story.  Ebay will be my second stop if my home job doesn't work.

Kobajo84

I just wrote a blog about this recently:

[poleharmony.blogspot.com]
Mar 17, 2012 from Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
Lyme Lyte Paid Member

I knew I saw something somewhere....going to check it out now, thanks!
Lyme Lyte Paid Member

Thanks Kobajo!  Have you ever just tried the color without the base and top coats?

nymphdancer

ulta and box stores are starting to sell the polishes too, bit cheaper then gelish but they are smaller containers. Mom is buying me all the stuff to start doing my own we figure with a decent light it will end up just under 100 bucks. However since mine have to be done every 14 days (my nails grow super fast and even doing vintage half moons there is too much growth after that and I have found they start to peel) I figure since I pay 30+ tip I will be far ahead shortly.
Mar 17, 2012 from Louisville, Kentucky, United States
Lyme Lyte Paid Member

UPDATE!  First go around.....Went to Walmart and bought JUST the color, not base, top or special "cleaner".  I then went to buy a black light (which the net said all black lights are LED), so they had one light that was like three feet long or a regular light bulb size for $3.00.  Came home, put the bulb in a desk lamp and moved the neck just about an inch from the table.  Put on my polish, which is so shiney and stuck em up under the light.  After 2 min, I took them out and to see how "hard" it was, I touch my nails slightly to my face.  Well, not a good idea, the polish didn't cure and I had it all over my face....and hands since I tried to wash it off with soap and hot water.  So, I have $13.00 into this so far, and not working.  Going to try to reapply (just try ONE nail) and keep it under for much longer.   If that doesn't work, going to try a different light.
chemgoddess1 Paid Member

NO, all black lights are not LED.  LED is light emitting diode which is a fairly new technology.  I believe that you need a specific UV wavelength to cure this stuff.  Not sure what that is but the cheapest UV light will be reptile lights.

Getting my geek on...[www.nailsmag.com]
chemgoddess1 Paid Member

[www.nailsmag.com]
Vertical Joes

ooh! i love doing my own gel at home! i use the gellish kit and it takes some time but the nails come out salon quality- i went to Sallys at first then returned everything when i saw it all on AMAZON for a fraction of the cost!! I put the gel on my toes and hands!! yes!
Mar 17, 2012 from Atlanta, Georgia, United States
chemgoddess1 Paid Member

One more....black lights are UV.  Their wavelength is 400-410nm.  Hence this is reason black lights will not cure the gel....it needs somewhere around 375nm.

[en.wikipedia.org]
chemgoddess1 Paid Member

OK...so I am getting a kick out of the last article.  Nothing like having an exothermic reaction going on on your nails!!  EEEK!!
Lyme Lyte Paid Member

OK Chem,  getting too technical for my brain.  Going to go to Home Depot, what shall I ask for???
daisyheadmayzie
I have been using the "red carpet" brand gel system from ulta. My nails are amazing, they look salon done. It's easy and way cheaper than the salon. Lasts on me for about 2 to 3 weeks and I am tough on my nails. Also a bit cheaper than the hellish system from Sally.
Mar 17, 2012 from Apopka, Florida, United States
daisyheadmayzie
I have been using the "red carpet" brand gel system from ulta. My nails are amazing, they look salon done. It's easy and way cheaper than the salon. Lasts on me for about 2 to 3 weeks and I am tough on my nails. Also a bit cheaper than the hellish system from Sally.
Mar 17, 2012 from Apopka, Florida, United States
jade s
I love that Chemie has all the answers to everything! Girl you are like a walking, pole dancing, human encyclopedia! Lyme, can't wait to hear how the gel polish works. I've been dying to try it. I'm el cheapo and impatient too! I tried just using the Revlon Colorstay gel polish last week, and it lasts a couple days longer on my fingernails, but I had to redo my toenails the next day after dancing. Love the pole, but it's murder on my mani/pedi!
Mar 17, 2012 from Fairfield, California, United States
Lyme Lyte Paid Member

Daisy, how much did the kit cost you?

Kobajo84

I've never used the gel without the base or top coats, I would assume it wouldn't cure like it's supposed to just like if you don't use a UV light. 
Mar 17, 2012 from Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
daisyheadmayzie

I believe it was around $50 for everything. I did invest in thier "pro light" a couple months ago which was another $40 or $50 but I love it because it takes only 45 seconds to cure each coat. So worth it.  Had I been one to get my nails done every couple weeks at a salon, this kit has paid for itself already, many times over.  [search.ulta.com] Look for Ulta coupons on www.retailmenot.com   I never shop online without coupon codes.  Call me coupon queen.  Kobajo84 is correct, you do need the base and top coats.  I tried it without and it sucked. Bought the kit last fall, I use it all the time and I am only just now running out of base coat.  Product lasts a long time.
Mar 18, 2012 from Apopka, Florida, United States
kat pole princess

i get gels all the time.  the lighting also depends on what kind of gel u use.  base and tope coat is a must or else it wont last as long.  i leave mone on for 3 weeks before  i get them touched up.  

im def not brave enuff to do it myself as i think i would be wearing it as would everything aorund me!!  lol.  im soo impressed by the ladies who can do it at home.  
Mar 18, 2012
Lyme Lyte Paid Member

Yes, decided I am going to just drop the $50 and buy the kit.  I used to be a cosmetologist, so applying the product won't be a problem.  I am rather excited, will let you all know how the SensatioNail kit works. 
Mar 18, 2012 from Grand Haven, Michigan, United States
nymphdancer

I'm getting the gelish starter kit for 25 on amazon and a light that you can do both hands or feet at the same time for 54 from there as well. I think it is worth the extra funds to be able to make the job take less time.
Mar 18, 2012 from Louisville, Kentucky, United States
Lyme Lyte Paid Member
Im going to check that out too.....
Mar 18, 2012 from Grand Haven, Michigan, United States
nymphdancer

to me it seems worth the extra so it will take half as long.
Mar 18, 2012 from Louisville, Kentucky, United States
psychoholicslag

I love the Gelish polish! Got the starter kit from Sally's along with the Pro:45 light. I like how when I'm done doing my nails, I'm done. I don't have to wait forever for them to dry. I leave mine on for about 3 weeks or until I'm sick of looking at the same color, then I do them again. I have also replaced the color gel polish with regular polish. I still do all the base work and the top coat, just switch out the color (not too many gelish colors to choose from plus I still have a ton of regular colors left). I don't think it lasts as long without chipping as it does with the gelish color polish, but since I like to change my color about every two weeks, it works good for me. It can definately extend the wear of regular polish if you want to start there before you invest $12 into every color gel polish you would like to use. Also, I've noticed at my Sally's they usually have some of the colors on the discount rack. It's usually the more vibrant colors like blue, orange, yellow, etc. Maybe some more now to that the season is changing.
Mar 18, 2012 from Trinity, North Carolina, United States
amy
Can you do gradients of color or from color to clear with the gelish? Do they have glitters?
Mar 19, 2012 from New York, New York, United States
chemgoddess1 Paid Member

Amy, I was reading about how they do the gradients and yes this can be done with Gelish.  I am not sure of all the colors they have but many nail artists will used MAC pigments and glitters mixed with clear or sheer gelish color.  Basically it is 4 cure times just for the color.

Here is the one blog I read:

[megumimizuno.blogspot.com]
Mar 19, 2012 from Raleigh-ish, NC, United States
chemgoddess1 Paid Member

Looks like Gelish has over 80 colors:

[www.nailharmony.com]

(click on color swatch)
Mar 19, 2012 from Raleigh-ish, NC, United States
amy

OOOOOOOOOOH uh oh.... yet another crafty thing for me to get into.

i just don't know if i can do my right hand. maybe i can just rock a one-handed mani? :) i used to be able to do french, this shouldn't be tooooo bad. 
Mar 19, 2012 from New York, New York, United States
poledanceromance
Practice makes perfect. I've had one day without polish since last July. After a few months of sticking with it, I can actually do my right hand pretty much as well as the left. Just be ready with acetone and cotton balls so if you totally bork one you can wipe off right away
Mar 19, 2012 from Sycamore, Illinois, United States
chemgoddess1 Paid Member

I WANT UPDATES!!!!!!!
Apr 1, 2012 from Raleigh-ish, NC, United States
Lyme Lyte Paid Member
I will post a video later tonight chem. It is awesome......
Apr 1, 2012 from Grand Haven, Michigan, United States
jade s
I bought the Sensationails kit from Walmart and gave it a try last Sunday. My nails still look the same a week later. The great thing is that I had a performance on Friday and we wore neon colors. I threw on two coats of neon colored nail polish right over my gel nail polish. When I got home, I just wiped the neon off with regular remover and "voila" my gel nails, are still intact and shiny! I have no doubt they will last me at least another week! Yay!
Apr 1, 2012 from Fairfield, California, United States
amy
@PDR-- I meant, I used to be able to do a French manicure on myself :) i think a gradient would be harder though, given what I've seen when its done on me!
Apr 1, 2012 from New York, New York, United States
Lyme Lyte Paid Member
Video posted....
JeHanne Paid Member

Wow Lyme your nails look beautiful!!! This thread inspired me to by the Gelish from Sally's (had a coupon) so am going to try it out and see how it goes. : )
Apr 1, 2012 from United States
Lyme Lyte Paid Member
Im sure ur going to love it!!!! Same concept.....
polefairy

I get Shellac nails done at a salon (occasionally) but I never get 14 days out of it. While it is incredibly durable, my nails grow so damn fast that within 4/5 days there is a gap on my nail with no colour. By day 14 half my nail is left with no colour. So I would deffo love to try gel nail polish. Haven't seen it over here for home use yet.You can get Salon gel that you need a UV light to set. Would be great to get a thicker, more durable alternative to nail polish though. Especially for people like myself whose nails grow super fast!
Apr 1, 2012 from Ireland
Lyme Lyte Paid Member
Pole fairy, u would have the same problem w this polish if ur nails grow so fast, u will still have white by ur cuticle. I'm going to try to three weeks out of mine. I know they won't chip, but along the cuticle is starting to grow out. Check out the video I posted a while ago.....
amy

i have a friend who gets the gel done in clear, so that her nails are protected, and she does regular polish colors over it. just a thought!
Apr 1, 2012 from New York, New York, United States
nymphdancer

that is why i used to do vintage half moon's so you couldn't see the grow out :) since I do pinup and burlesque it works well with my style.

Apr 1, 2012 from Louisville, Kentucky, United States
jade s
Ok trying an experiment... I did my toenails using the gel base/top coat but regular colored polish. The test will be whether or not it survives my class tomorrow night. To be continued...
Apr 2, 2012 from Fairfield, California, United States
Lyme Lyte Paid Member
Jade, I read that if u use regular polish, it won't last as long. But give us an update, be nice to get another opinion!
Apr 2, 2012 from Grand Haven, Michigan, United States
stylynzy Paid Member
I recommend putting suscreen on your fingers and wipe off the nails with alcohol before you start. The uv light will damage your skin over time just like a tanning bed will.
Apr 2, 2012 from Parkland, Florida, United States
Lyme Lyte Paid Member

Never thought of that.  Oh well, my hands are looking like an old ladies already...... :)
jade s
Great tip stylynzy, I will definitely remember that when I do my nails again. Ok, so although my toenails didn't hold up as well as I had hoped, just the very tips were slightly rubbed off. Normally, virtually all the polish on my big toes are pretty much gone after class. I will do the full gel nail process next week and see if they hold up better.
Apr 2, 2012 from Fairfield, California, United States
Lyme Lyte Paid Member
Yeah Jade, from what I read that doesn't really work. But now we know!
AerialGypsy Paid Member

I agree with putting on sunscreen. UV damage is cumulative, so even a low dose over time has the potential to cause problems. I do see that the lamps are considered safe, but I'd still be cautious, ya know?
Apr 3, 2012 from Oregon, United States
stylynzy Paid Member
Wearing shoes dancing definitely helps my pedicure. My toes get destroyed much quicker barefoot.
Apr 3, 2012 from Parkland, Florida, United States
stylynzy Paid Member
Wearing shoes dancing definitely helps my pedicure. My toes get destroyed much quicker barefoot.
Apr 3, 2012 from Parkland, Florida, United States
Dollishpolishnails
Hi ladies another way to do gel is to prep the nails as u do when applying gel polish use gelish base cure under uv light then apply ANY regular nail polish of ur choice let it dry compleatly then apply gelish top it off n cure under uv light wipe sticky top layer with a 91% alcohol n a lint free wipe u can also find a tutorial on youtube under gelish sandwitch hope this helps
Mar 6, 2013

Cantetinza17 Paid Member
I was having such a hard time with this one the scorpian is a breeze, but this one always messed me up. lol thank god for these videos.
more testimonials