StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Craving that Bobbi style

• Craving that Bobbi style

Posted by LillyBilly on May 10, 2012 at 2:54 pm

It seems to me lately that all my favorite pole dancers studied at Bobbi's pole studio. Bobbi herself, Felix, Amy (I think I read somewhere she studied there), scarletthoney I found here at Veena's, to name a few – they all have this fluid quality to their movement, so sexy and feminine! It's amazing. Whenever I find myself admiring a pole dancer, I find out she was trained at Bobbi's shortly after.

It's like the moves and tricks are the same moves and tricks, but when they are performed by the Bobbi girls, they turn into art. Sexy art.

So this is my question to all the Bobbi girls out there – how did you train? What do they teach you? Did you do any excercises that you can share with us? Did they put mysterious pink powder in your water to make you move like that, and if so – how can I lay my hands on some?! How can I become a Bobbi girl, although I'm stuck here in the other side of the world?

Viva replied 11 years, 1 month ago 26 Members · 46 Replies
  • 46 Replies
  • donnalee

May 10, 2012 at 3:01 pm

Yes! I too watch videos on Youtube ….like the performance… and then will find out the dancer is from Bobbi's. Famous in the pole dance world. I also found on Youtube, a "Bobbi's Talk Show" format.  (Don't recall the link, but if you search Youtube….I am sure it can be found. )The dancers talked about the studio and dance moves. The dancers were friendly, funny and energetic.  Lots of personality.  Glad you posted this thought. Looking forward to see if anyone from Bobbi's responds : )

• donnalee

May 10, 2012 at 3:45 pm

I must add….did not know Scarlethoney trained or works out at Bobbi's. @Scarlethoney….your videos are great to watch. I have posted so…..if you are out there and can find the time….please share tips/thoughts on fluidity….or anything? Will be  fun to hear from you: )

• Lina Spiralyne

May 10, 2012 at 4:33 pm

Sorry, I have never trained at Bobbi's but I love to watch her since she's so graceful and seems so friendly too. I guess you know that there are three instructional DVD's from Bobbi's pole studio? It's not like learning IRL of course, but maybe they could be helpful to watch if you like their style. One of them have a floor work section in addition to moves and combos.

Also, just the latest days the YT-channel belonging to Bobbi's pole studio in Singapore have posted some vids with advice from Bobbi herself. Have a look:

Headrolls
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9CoXt7dHcA
    The Tic Toc
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvVKcDQKvw4&feature=g-all-lik
    Correct splits in heels
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=DVcQcjniNrc

• LillyBilly

May 10, 2012 at 4:47 pm

I didn't know Bobbi has an instructional DVD, thanks!

• Kira

May 10, 2012 at 4:47 pm

I only trained there for a short time (1 year) but that was the year I made the most progress in my pole abilities – not just tricks but transitions, flow, grace and a bit of attitude 😉 I don't know what it was…. mainly the teachers are all so encouraging and each focus a lot on technique (I got told off for climbing the pole ugly by Cleo LOL) and they LOVE their headrolls and floorwork. when I met Bobbi I remember her teaching me how to aerial invert gracefully and explaining that each move is differnt to each person, so learn how to perform each move your own way. But that still doesn't explain how each bobbi dancer dances the same yet unique to themselves …. I'll just wait for scarlethoney to reply lol 

I personally think it's the environment, teachers and pupils that maintain that 'bobbi' image, you're taught straight from beginners to strut around confidently and even if you couldn't do some moves you'd have some killer floorwork to 'fill'

• Scarlett Honey aka Lola Grace

May 10, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Oh gosh, thank you so much girls for the compliment. 🙂 Yes Bobbi's is a fantastic studio to train at… I trained there for my first two years of pole, it got me hooked! And these days I pop in occasionally for casual classes, because I just cant stay away! So I definitely have a lot to thank them for. Well Bobbi's is a studio that really pushes the dance factor. Every 8 weeks they teach you tricks and dance choreography, so you are not only learning techniques, but also a routine that you can rock out to… I think that is what makes it so fun. They like to push boundaries and get a bit naughty, so the routines usually have plenty of head rolls, body rolls, booty bouncing and floorwork. 

As far as technique goes…. They are HUGELY obsessed with poining toes (understandably so! Its now one of my pet hates – flexed feet *shivers* lol). They teach you that sexy strut walk by telling you to drag your toes along the ground, and don't lift your feet too high, no stomping!. They like dynamic dances – always use multi-levels (floor and up) and work to the music… if it slows, you slow, if it speeds up, then climbs, inverts, tricks would probably ensue. They are very musically diverse…. one term you may learn a rocknroll routine (I remember doing 'Welcome to the Jungle' Guns n Roses) and the next may be something slower. But definitely a lot of sexy rock n roll. (We also did Free your mind by Envogue – Oldschool – loved it! 🙂

Look, I wish there was some magic powder they could sell commercially for all you lovely ladies overseas. haha. But I think watching your fave dancers, mimicking their moves and adopting their techniques will help you become more fluid. ALso, repetition, practice, and confidence… these make a huge difference to your style….  

At Bobbi's as you get to more advanced classes, they allows students to improvise the choreography a bit…. At the end of the song we freestyle and just bust out. Its so much fun and I think its a great way to get us all to start interpreting the music and expressing. I noticed Tracee at Body n Pole is about to start classess that work on finding your freestyle…. I think its a great idea. I mean, I would be more than happy to share qualities of dance/style/fluidity that Bobbi or her instructors might have, but ultimately I think we have to find our own unique style, so that we stand out. And so that we are true to ourselves. But yes, certain little techniques can definitely improve fluidity – I hope this helped!!!! 🙂 xoxoxo

• Lina Spiralyne

May 10, 2012 at 5:52 pm

I think I ordered the vids from the studio's homepage!

• Scarlett Honey aka Lola Grace

May 10, 2012 at 6:20 pm

I forgot to add: WHen they teach, they teach in combos. SO they will teach you several dance moves/tricks all in one flow… So after repeating the 8 second/16second combo over and over, fluidity just comes nturally. Nothing is static, its all one piece…. no starting and stopping kind of thing…. I think that makes a huge difference. Join a few moves together, then work on them as a whole. Much smoother effect.

• Takara

May 10, 2012 at 7:29 pm

Where is her studio and what is the web site I want to know

• Trina Star

May 10, 2012 at 8:35 pm
  • Trina Star

May 10, 2012 at 8:36 pm

I think the boobis girls are amazing,i just got a couple of her dvds cant wait to watch them 🙂

• tiggertail

May 10, 2012 at 9:45 pm

I just had a workshop with Cleo…and it's easy to see where she come from. I think that what is particular is the fact that they are not just train to pole but also to entertain…Autralian girls seem to really enjoy the sexy side of pole dancing and i just learn to hae fun with those hair flip…be prepare to see some of those in my next video.

• kasanya

May 10, 2012 at 11:47 pm

My bf ordered the Bobbi's videos for my birthday and they still haven't come. It's been two months. =(

• LillyBilly

May 11, 2012 at 12:52 am

@scarletthoney Thanks! What you say about learning in combos makes perfect sense. I will try practicing like that at home. 

In our school, all the teachers had professional ballroom dance training, so they aim for a slightly different style. It's not bad, but the process doesn't seem to be as effective as it is in Bobbi's. I think it may be the element of repitition as well as the combos – we always learn new tricks and stuff, but in the intermediate/advanced lessons, we don't repeat them enough or make sure to put them into a routine, so we hardly ever get a chance to dance with them to a whole song.

@tiggertail I call it the Australian school of pole dancing. I.e – you have the trickster school of pole dancing, that is divided between the strength-based tricksters (zoraya, chinese polers etc), felxibility-based tricksters (Rebeca starr, Jenyne), and there is the austalian school of pole dancing that is more focused at actually dancing and is more sexy and fun 🙂

To myself I call them the Australian gang 😉

• Lina Spiralyne

May 11, 2012 at 1:00 am

@kasanya: It seems you should contact whoever you ordered from, two months are a lot. Was it from the studio's homepage? I remember they shipped mine to Europe very quickly, but it's something like two years ago now.

Page 1 of 3