StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Ballet class for pole? And….

• Ballet class for pole? And….

Posted by CalBear on August 21, 2011 at 4:08 am

Hi,

I'm thinking about taking a semester of beginner ballet at my college thinking that it might help me with form, grace, and fluidity in my pole. I've taken several silk classes, and while I see it to be helpful, it wasn't too thrilled about it given the cost per class. I was thinking about taking a burlesques class with a loca caberet, maybe just a few to preview. And I already practice yoga 2-3x a week.

I was wondering what other types of classes have you found really helpful for your pole? And do you think ballet would be helpful for pole dancing? It's a little more affordable cause it's at a community college, as I do have to budget out what would be most helpful for my pole practice  given the cost per class.

Any class suggestions? https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_smile.gif

p.s. I would like to see if I can get to a level where i can compete in the next couple years.. 🙂

stainless replied 12 years, 8 months ago 10 Members · 14 Replies
  • 14 Replies
  • distracted

August 21, 2011 at 12:38 pm

I'm waiting for registration to open for a beginners adult ballet class for this fall since I've always wanted to get back into it.  I think any type of dance classes would be helpful with transitions, posture, extensions, etc.  As pole dancers, I think we get so focused on the tricks that we forget about the performance aspect of it.

Ballet really is the foundation of dance so it'd be a good way to ease yourself into the dancing world.  Also, it's easy to practice what you've learned at home and in life.  I've forced myself to stand in 3rd position when I'm making presentations since it keeps my back straight and I don't fidget.  I love watching videos where the pole dancer is also a ballerina.  It just makes my heart melt since it's so gorgeous. 

If you're finding that ballet doesn't jive with your dance style, then you can always move onto other genres.

• Prncsopowr

August 21, 2011 at 9:48 pm

As a ballerina first and a pole dancer second, I would say that ballet has really helped with pole. I am able to do the transitions and have fluidity between moves a lot better than some of my counterparts.  Also, I have more flexibility than others as I have been training for it so much longer.  Ballet uses strength in your core and legs, which clearly assists.  You can always try it and if you don't like it, try a jazz dance class next semester.

• Deesse Jesse

August 21, 2011 at 10:17 pm

I'm also of the ballerina then pole dancer variety, alebeit not the greatest dancer of either.

There was a great article on the advantages and disadvantages of ballet for pole dancers which, of course, I can't find right now. But the main points were that it really helps build core strength, flexibility, and the ability to train using choreography. For me personally, I found that having turn out (ballet for I walk like a duck haha) was a huge advantage because I seemed to understand movements where you need to push your pelvis forward better than most.

The main disadvantage the aticle mentioned was turn out. The problem being that in pole your legs are often meant to be in parallel which my legs absolutely reject. It means some of my leg hangs look a little off because my leg is turned out. But I think this is a minor price to pay and really something that would affect you more with years and years of ballet training.

The biggest thing I've found with ballet though is that you only get what you put in. If you're not contoling your abs during every barre exercise, if you show up to classes not having a good time and not trying, you're not getting the full potential of the class. So my summary is yes, totally try it, I think it gave me a massive advantage in terms of grace, fluidity, learning and making choreography, and style.

• Prncsopowr

August 21, 2011 at 10:22 pm

I never thought about my turnout being the cause of some of my challenges I face….definitely something to think about!

• Deesse Jesse

August 21, 2011 at 10:48 pm
  • OopseyDaisey

August 22, 2011 at 1:20 am

I refer back to ballet training for many reasons, but the primary one would be that ballet teaches a connection through out the body that sometimes in pole gets lost.  It can really protect your body long term to know the "right" way to connect to your muscles to avoid overuse injuries.  Good luck!

• marle777

August 22, 2011 at 11:32 am

Ballet is something that I have only had the pleasure of dabbling into with my own solo practice and already it has had many benefits all over and of course most especially in the core and legs as previously mentioned.

I reccomend also looking into some form of bellydance as this can help with your transitions and flow tremendously. I prefer the modern tribal fusion forms with an emphasis on floorwork for the really sinous and sultry look but there are many styles and really, just the basics are enough to help with pole dance anyway.

• marle777

August 22, 2011 at 11:35 am

I forgot to note that the belly dance floorwork often incorporates much of what you already have learned in your yoga classes so that is also a plus.

• Judy Jovanelly

August 22, 2011 at 12:23 pm

having studied dance for most of my life, i was always taught to keep ballet in the mix of classes i took.  it's the foundation of pretty much all the other dance forms, so IMO, take it !! at the very least you'll do no harm to yourself or your poling skills 🙂

• tarah

August 23, 2011 at 12:28 am

the ballet classes sound great!   i would say go for it!!   🙂

• PaulettePoles

August 23, 2011 at 5:03 am

I really have no dance experience, but my coincidence I just came from a workshop w Althea Austin and she said people w ballet training have the worse transitioning to the pole w the eception of their pointy toes. She said you learn to kep your upper body and torso too stiff and defeats fluidity of movement coming form your sternum. SHe was explaining her sister has ballet training and is transitioning to pole and is preventing her from doing her slinky snakey body movements she is famous for.. Made me think twice about the ballet class offered at our studio I was gonna take! Not really my opinion but was hers as a pole expert I thought Id pass on since you asked!

• marle777

August 23, 2011 at 7:06 am

Ballet has a lot of historical backing so you’ll come across misinformation sometimes suggesting that all dance forms come from it which is not true although it has touched many styles due to westernization. I can easily see how Alethea could be correct with her notation there and I think, from having watched my sister train for elite gymnastics most of her life, that really the most closely related mainstream class would be adult gymnastics for both strength and flexibility. Again, middle eastern dance (bellydance) movements are one of the truest ‘mothers’ of exotic dance floorwork, so I try do all of the above for my own practice. Nothing wrong with cross training..

• Deesse Jesse

August 23, 2011 at 11:11 am

I kind of agree with what Althea told you, Paulette, but at the same time not at all haha

I came from a heavily ballet based background but I'd say I'm on the better side of average at my studio for transitioning, and upper body isolation and movement. It's a bit like what I think Marle was saying that it's best if you try out a few dance forms to get all the benefits.

Where I agree with Althea is that people who practice only one form of dance to the point of being almost professional get very set in their movements. Ballet dancers are taught to hold their upper bodies a certain way and it's hard to break out of that. On the same note, gymnasts have a certain stance and over point for their feet that they train for in competitions that can be hard for them to break out of as well.

Realistically, if you start ballet at an adult age you won't develop a stiff back from recreational classes. But the more dance types you can try, the more you can draw on them for inspiration and a really unique dance style.

• stainless

August 23, 2011 at 11:42 am

Yoga, pilates and contemporary dance. Ballet is a good choice but it is A LOT of work and slightly intimidating because of the perfect posture that you MUST maintain and its in French (I only speak English). You should try it for the experience because it is a great experience and there is a lot to learn. For some one with no prior dance experience (idk if this is you) I would suggest pilates over ballet.