StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions Anyone not like platform/clear heels for yourself?

• Anyone not like platform/clear heels for yourself?

Posted by adAstra on August 25, 2012 at 2:26 pm

I have noted with increasing curiosity that while most of us are not exotic dancers and do not appreciate the assumption that we are just because we pole, lots of us tend to choose heels associated with stripping. I see lots of the sky-high platformed heels and lots of lucite, which I've always heard called "stripper heels." 

Here's what I came up with, and correct me if I'm wrong: it is impowering to wear heels referred to as "stripper heels" because (1) they are associated with total sexyness and (2) we can transform their meaning based on who we are rather than what people would assume we are.

I love this idea! I don't personally like thick platforms on myself or clear heels, but when I see them on you ladies you could not look more bold and strong. I do wear really tall heels compared to those around me (around 4 1/2") without platforms or with a small platform which my classmates and co-workers call "stripper heels." They make my stride stronger and I love the authoritative click. I was wondering, what do you love about your heels? Am I right about why we love our platform heels or what other reasons do you love wearing them? Or is there anyone that doesn't particularly like the typical platform heel?

adAstra replied 8 years ago 37 Members · 53 Replies
  • 53 Replies
  • Eden Body

August 25, 2012 at 3:12 pm

I was not into high heels before I started researching pole dancing. The more I researched and saw videos of girls dancing in heels the more I wanted to try it. I thought it added something to the dance. I also like to see people dance barefoot. At first I was not really into the clear heels but they're the only pole shoes that fit my very narrow feet. When I tried them on I actually liked the way they looked on me. The platforms are fun for me because I'm so used to being such a plain jane. I made a decision on May 23, 2012 (the day I joined studio Veena) that Pole dancing would be a way to step outside of my usual safe, comfortable and conservative yet limited box. I really don't care if they're called stripper shoes…..I like the way I look and feel in them……..I know pole dance is great for fitness and it has it's fair share of stigmas…. but it was the sexy side of pole dance that spoke to me first. 

• kasanya

August 25, 2012 at 4:07 pm

I can think of two really practical reasons why ladies prefer poling in "stripper heels" rather than regular heels. The first is that these shoes are designed for dancing. You're not going to snap the heel off of one because there's a metal rod in there. They also have a rubber grip on the sole so you don't slip on hard surfaces. The second is that there's a lot of moves (mostly floorwork) that are simply easier to execute when you have a platform to slide on rather than your toes.

On the less practical side, I'm sure many ladies choose stripper heels because 1) that's just what people are supposed to wear when pole dancing and 2) they definitely do make you feel sexy as hell. I especially love the stripper heels with the clear platforms, because they make your legs look sooooo long without adding any visual weight to your foot. (If you're not sure what that means, check out any video with a girl dancing in 7 inch black platforms. It looks like she has bricks on her feet.)

• ronia

August 25, 2012 at 5:52 pm

In the beginning I wasn't into heels at all. I preferred dancing barefoot, it felt more natural to me. But recently I discovered that heels make you move differently and more sexy and I want to explore that side of pole dancing too. It will  be something different for me. So I just ordered my first pair of Pleasers (clear platform of course 🙂  ). Can't wait until they get here so I can try them!

• calipolepixie

August 26, 2012 at 12:04 am

In the beginning, I wasn't into wearing platform heels, then I loved dancing with them as much as possible. Now I am back to preferring to dance barefoot lol. In fact, I just realized that I haven't practiced poling in my platform heels in a couple of months! Yikes!

I definitely think that dancing in platform heels adds to the sexiness of a pole performance though, the two just "go" together beautifully. And I feel and dance differently when I wear platform heels, I become a different person, a vixen if you will 🙂 It's an amazingly sexy & liberating feeling.

• luvlee

August 26, 2012 at 1:32 am

I will tell you what. I started poling to wear the shoes!!! Lol! Then I got serious and could not even wear them during practice. So, sometimes I wear them now, but they hinder me in some moves. I have always wore clear shoes though. Just not 6 inch ones. I had a Cinderella themed wedding and wore these beautiful clear 4 inch heels w silver and Australian crystals.

• LillyBilly

August 26, 2012 at 1:38 am

I like high heels because I like the aesthetics of them, but I hate dancting in "stripper heels". They are too big and heavy in my opinion, and they prevent you from doing nice footwork (pointe). I prefer to dance in ballroom heels – they are lighter and have a soft sole, so I can still point my feet.

I like wearing stripper heels when I go out, though 🙂

• CapFeb

August 26, 2012 at 1:55 am

As an exotic dancer, I would have to say that I like stripper heels in certain situations. If you can actively pole in a room with high ceilings, go for it! If you're like me and 5'10" (making you approximately 6'Godzilla") you end up kicking the ceiling , which is not classy or sexy at all. That's inverting from the ground, by the way :<  If you haven't worked up to inverting, then I guess everything is all fine and dandy! 

There are certain moves that I can't imagine doing in heels (Special K, but Chelle Hefner apparently tackled that one. I still can't quite get my brain around that.) But I'm sure with enough practice you can do anything. 

• glitterqueen

August 26, 2012 at 10:08 am

I like to wear the hells because, as my instructor pointed out "they add to the workout and they're sexier than ankle weights". And I really do notice a difference in how sore my legs are on the days I wear them versus the days I don't 🙂

• Empty

August 26, 2012 at 10:38 am

I bring my black 6" Pleasers to class every week and the teacher has only asked me to wear them once. No one else in class has a pair, although the teacher offers hers, no one takes them. She tends to use them for when she wants to make videos or take pictures. We mainly dance barefoot. So I cant really say if I prefer one over the other just yet. I'm aiming to get a nice new pair. Perhaps they'll look better on me and I'll be more prone to wear them.

• Veena

Administrator
    August 26, 2012 at 11:06 am

I do videos and take photos in heels and barefoot. I don't practice much in heels but I love to wear them in videos……IF it fits the song. 

• Monicasaerialadventures

August 26, 2012 at 11:42 am

I normally pole barefoot, but everyonce in a while I enjoy putting on my black pleaser 8 inch heels, I love how they make my legs look and i feel so sexy

• x falcon 3 0 x

August 26, 2012 at 10:59 pm

I love dancing in my 6" platform stilettos!  Boots, too!  It's a bit empowering for me cuz I'm a vertically challenged midget with an extreme case of short woman's syndrome https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_flower.gif (I almost always wear platform heels when I get the chance, dancing or not).

I refer to my pole shoes as 'stripper shoes' or just flat out 'shoes'.  I'm not above strippers.  But the shoes do not automatically add a sexy element to the dance…flashback to the first few times I danced in them. 

I wear my 'stripper shoes' when I feel like it, but I have to say that I dance more freely without them.

• JeHanne

August 27, 2012 at 6:02 am

I love dancing in platform heels and wear them for multiple reasons. Some cosmetic ones are I feel that they lengthen the lines of the leg and create instant sex appeal. Tons of colors, styles, lengths… the variety is dizzying and I love that. 

I also wear them to execute moves like heel slides and pirouttes (protect my feet). Protecting my feet is a biggie. I danced barefoot a few days ago and tore my left foot so now I have two throbbing torn areas that I'm working on healing up. 🙁 Ouch. I get so angry when that happens. 

I like the additional benefits like improving ankle strength and that while in them I focus more on core stabalization and balance. I could barely walk when I first put a pair on… I remember calling myself a 'drunk baby giraffe'. Even though I couldn't really do anything in them… I fell in love with them immediately. 

I do not feel there is a right or wrong here, it is all about what you want to do at that time and what makes you feel the most expressive about your dance in that moment. I can say that I am captivated by heels.

• Eden Body

August 27, 2012 at 6:08 am

Ouch JeHanne, hope you heal up real soon. lol @ drunk baby giraffe:-)

• Dancing Paws

August 27, 2012 at 12:34 pm

I like the clear platforms, just not the clear straps. I think they make my feet look ugly. I like heels because they make my legs looks better https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_wink.gif

My friend makes fun of me when I wear heels. She says I walk like Peggy Bundy. https://www.studioveena.com/img/smilies/icon_e_confused.gif

Page 1 of 4