StudioVeena.com Forums Discussions 50 vs 45 or 40?? which pole size is best??

• 50 vs 45 or 40?? which pole size is best??

Posted by bexboo on February 4, 2014 at 11:33 am

i’m really thinking of investing in another pole, i’ve only ever worked on a 50mm and although i’ve got small hands and well stubby short fingers its never really prevented me from learning moves i’ve tried to learn,(apart from one hand spins on spinnny 🙁 i just wonder how muuch better it would be on a smaller pole? i know leg moves are supposed to be harder, but my lower body is naturally a lot stronger than my upper and if it would be “that ” much better i think i might get one ( especially if one hand spins on spinnny would be possible??) anybody got any info to share? thanks in advance veeners xx

Tigerschic041721 replied 9 years, 6 months ago 15 Members · 17 Replies
  • 17 Replies
  • FeeDen

February 4, 2014 at 1:59 pm

I started on a 50mm and a year later got a 45mm, which I love. I didn’t find it hard on my legs at all and found CAR’s etc fine. I’m around 5ft 5 with smallish hands and love the 45mm for the grip, I just feel more confident attempting moves with the smaller pole. I would love to try the 40mm for comparison,it must be great for spinning!!

• gixxerbabe08

February 4, 2014 at 2:50 pm

I have a 50mm and when I first purchased it I kept going back and forth on which one to get. I’m 5’4″ and consider my hands to be small. I can spin with one hand but don’t feel completely comfortable when it’s on spin and using one hand! This makes me think i should get a 45mm. :0

• ERIN6907

February 4, 2014 at 3:56 pm

I have a 40mm and absolutely love it. I have a really hard time with 50’s. And I’ve never tried a 45 but want to!

• bexboo

February 4, 2014 at 6:53 pm

thanks for your input girls, i’m really itching to try out a smaller size too 😉 @gixxerbabe08 i’m gonna keep trying to get that onehand spin on the 50mm now i know its possible, im 5.6 and your hands are prob smaller, so i’ll keep trying as i’ve heard its more about strength than pole size that helps your grip from some sources??( i guess i was just hoping that wasnt true so much so i could imagine myself on a 45 one handed no problem lol) X0xo

• Dancing Paws

February 5, 2014 at 12:03 pm

If you want a visual in the size differences, I have pictures with my hand on it, here: http://femtasticdance.blogspot.com/2013/05/pole-diameters-comparison.html

Size preference is personal. I hate 50s, love all sizes smaller than 50.

• Dancing Paws

February 5, 2014 at 12:10 pm

When people ask me about diameter, I generally recommend, for hands, that the middle finger and thumb touch or overlap slightly. larger hands can overlap too much on the 40s, so there is a line in how much overlap is good versus bad.

• valerie98

February 6, 2014 at 8:33 am

I hate 50! I have a 45 and a 40. I love both of them however if I had to pick one it would be the 45 because my 40 has way more flex. I have 11ft ceilings though. :))

• Veena

Administrator
    February 6, 2014 at 10:42 pm

If you have a chance to try smaller do it! I love both the 45 and 40, the first few times I used my 40 it felt tiny, but now I can switch between the 45 and 40 and not notice much difference. I would say the going from the 50 you’re use to down to a 40 would take some getting use to though.

• SToast

February 6, 2014 at 11:39 pm

Love my 50 but i have big hands. I can use a 45 fairly comfortably and never tried a 40.

• JenLFG

February 7, 2014 at 9:22 am

i started on a 50mm & 2 years later i went to a 45mm & i love it! i plan on sticking with a 45mm because i feel that i can grip with my hands better & its still big enough to not make a big difference with leg hangs & other moves. so i say 45 is the way to go 😀

i have never used a 40mm.

• 27yamako4816

September 28, 2014 at 2:36 am

Also need help, very confused, reading mixed reviews. :((( I am SO ready to buy a star stand alone !!can’t wait to order it !! Don’t know which one 45 or 50 , so frustrating :((( Every day I’m reading these blogs and everyone is talking about the hight of the dancer small hands, big hands and long fingers, but nobody realy saying how long is a long finger or what is the best grip 🙁 ?My palm is about 6 1/2 in long and longest finger is 3in thumb is about 2 1/3 in … cCurcomference of my thumb with a midle finger is 5,5 in so when I grip a 45 mm my fingers touch , is it a better grip.. ? Ugh I just don’t want to waist almost $900 ..if anyone here has the same hand dimensions and Can help, really appreciated , Muahhhhhhh

• chemgoddess1

September 28, 2014 at 7:29 am
  • Phoenix Hunter

September 28, 2014 at 12:29 pm

get a 45mm. youre life will be so much easier. if you can already use a 50mm no problem, you will do even better with a 45. and it’s not that much smaller that it is gonna be more difficult for your legs. and you said that you have small hands. a 45mm will be sooooo much easier.

• Lucca Valentine

September 28, 2014 at 12:52 pm

I would say 45 cuz even as a taller person with bigger hands, I like the 45 much better and am able to do a lot more tricks

• Dancing Paws

September 28, 2014 at 4:51 pm

My advice is: go to a hardware store and put your hands around the 2″, 1.75″, and 1.5″ piping. I feel that your middle finger and thumb should touch or slightly overlap on a pole, for the most comfort. Too much overlap of the fingers is also an issue, so use your judgement on what would be the most comfortable for YOU.

Page 1 of 2